Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ageing

Man, that was the fastest I actually thought of writing a 2nd post! Well, the title this time is "Ageing", and I'll very soon get to the bottom of my point... (in 500 words hopefully)

Well, like last year, our school (SHMS) is organizing this IRF thingy again... Basically, its a congregation of many big hotel chains or hospitality-related companies such as Swiss International Air Lines, hospitality recruitment agencies, hospitality management agencies, etc etc etc... So yeah, basically, these blokes are here on the lookout for talented students such as yours truly *cough*...

Last year ended quite haphazardly, I applied for a few places, but ended up getting Z-E-R-O interviews, to my dismay... But this year takes a turn for the better I guess, got 2 interviews (supposed to get 3, I'll explain that later) from Malmaison and Taj hotel groups... Basically, my aim this year is to try by all means to get an internship in the UK. Why UK? I kinda like the country I guess... And I do have friends staying there... (Kok, Mama Vynie, etc... LOL) And its where they have the EPL! And yeah, its a predominantly English-speaking country, much better off than Switzerland, everywhere either French or German...

Regardless, the Malmaison group seems like a breath of fresh air... They seem to take a radical approach, not very conventional in the industry. I like that. The problem is... My interview time is 14:30. By then I think those fellas would have interviewed like 100++ students... I might be jobless before I even get interviewed... Damn...  Oh well.... There's still Taj... What could go wrong? Well... For starters, I just received an email yesterday saying that all their high-ranking hotshots have a meeting to attend to, and interviews would be via Skype/telephone... There goes half my advantage of having "A good 1st impression" *cough cough*... To add to boot, they might be offering me jobs in India only, though they own the London Crown Plaza... A risk worth treading into I guess...

Well, after all that, you would be probably thinking now, "WHAT THE F*** has all of the above crap gotta do with ageing?" Erm... Its just a feeling that im always like a few years older in my head than I am supposed to be chronologically... Call this self-praise, but people always said I tend to think ahead of my time (as in think like an older person), increased maturity perhaps? Oh well, most of my friends, they are still thinking of what to study. Me, Im thinking of where to start working. Thinking about settling down, a job, a career, house, car, wife, kids, dog, blablabla... Its just like... Im no longer young... People would come up and say, "Dude, ur only 20!" but it certainly doesnt feel that way...

Maybe because of this I start being abit looser, going out for drinks, having fun more I guess... I start to appreciate my youth... Sounds bizzare... But... I think all the while I just feel like getting old, getting to the next stage in life as the current one always bores me. But when I finally get to the next stage, I look back and miss the old one... When I was like 10 or 12 my mom asked me, "What do u miss about being a kid?" I said... "I can go into girls toilets without getting scolded!" LOL. Of course that was just a joke, but yeah... U get the point I guess...

So... Conclusion? Moral of the above long-winded verbose crap? Enjoy ur youth while u can guys... Im only 20 but I felt like I've wasted a huge part of my life already... And life's only... just beginning... *sigh*

It's a long road guys... Savor every step that you take.
Jin Miang


p/s: I did not drink at all before posting this. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment